Share Your Story


As part of constructing the South Dakota World War II Memorial, we want to preserve the stories of South Dakotans during that period. Please share with us a story of your experience during that time.


Vernie L. Anderson

Vernie entered the United States Army on January 27, 1943.  He served in the Pacific Theater in the Luzon Campaign.  He received the American Theater Service Medal, Asiatic Pacific Service Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one Bronze Star, Combat Infantry Badge and also received a Bronze Star. He was honorably discharged on 01-27-46.

Submitted 8/31/01


Robert F. Kramer

Robert F. Kramer served on the front lines in Germany.  He was with the communications unit.  He served from 1943 through 1946.  He was from the Havana, ND/Kidder, SD area.  He passed away in October, 1993.

Submitted 8/31/01


LeRoy Lassergard

LeRoy served as a bomber pilot on a B-17.  He was much decorated.

Submitted 8/31/01


Harvey H. Strobel

Harvey was killed in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium on January 1, 1945. 

Submitted 8/31/01


Lewin H. Henriksen

Lewin served with the 147th FA.  They left for Fr. Ord, CA in 1940.  This unit left Pearl Harbor just before the bombing for the Philippines.  They were rerouted to New Guinea where he spent the rest of his service.  He was discharged in June, 1945 as a Staff Sergeant. 

Submitted 8/31/01


Rollie E. Giedd

Rollie was a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.

Submitted 8/31/01


Stanley Burdette Thomas

Stanley Burdette Thomas was a sergeant in the Army and was killed in Germany during the Battle of the Bulge in April, 1945. 

Submitted 8/31/01


Anthony Thadeus Pavich

Anthony was with the 702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion.

Submitted 8/31/01

Harold E. Schauer

Harold was declared missing in action in World War II.

Submitted 8/31/01


Kenneth H. Simonson

Kenneth enlisted in the United States Navy on November 21, 1942 and was discharged on October 24, 1945.

Submitted 8/31/01


Harold A. Simonson

Harold enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps on October 27, 1942 and was discharged on January 10, 1946.

Submitted 8/31/01


Orville A. Simonson

Orville enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps on June 24, 1942 and was discharged on November 2, 1945.

Submitted 8/3/01


Marvin C. Myers

Marvin was employed in at an aircraft factory in Texas and attended Southern Methodist University until he joined the Navy Air Corps in September, 1943.  His training was received at Monmouth, Illinois, Davenport, IA, Del Monte, CA, Norman, OK and Corpus Christi, TX where he received his wings in September, 1944.  Advanced Training was given to him at Melbourne, FL with the F6F Hellcat group and he was then stationed in California for several months before leaving for the Hawaiian Islands.  He was reported missing in action on April 30, 1945.  His parents received the following information:  “Your son was a member of a five plane formation that took off on April 30, 1945 at 11 a.m. on a routine gunnery strafing flight.  Weather conditions were excellent for flying.  The planes proceeded approximately seventeen miles offshore and commenced their gunnery exercise.  Your son completed two simulated attacks, flying at a target in the water.  During the course of his third, he evidently lost control of his plane, for he continued his dive and crashed into the sea while traveling at forty-five degree angle and a rate of speed in excess of three hundred miles per hour.  Surface vessels in the vicinity immediately converged at the scene and an intensive and prolonged search was carried out, assisted by aircraft.  His boy was not recovered.  The obligation of letting you know this ill tidings is a most painful one, particularly as your son was one of the most popular and promising young officers in the squadron.  His character endeared him to his fellow officers and to the men.  His loss to me is most deeply felt.  Words are very inadequate at this time, but I hope that even this small tribute will be of some help to you in your sorrow.”  His parents, three sisters and two brothers survived Ensign Myers.

Submitted 8/31/01

Francis Joseph Pusl

Francis served in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II.

Submitted 8/31/01

Allan S. Norlin

Allan had 100% disability from shrapnel wounds suffered in World War II.  The wounds eventually blinded his right eye and made him deaf in his left ear.  A quiet man, he never told acquaintances how he won the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.  He was a combat infantryman in the liberation of the Philippine Islands from the Japanese during World War II.  His Silver Star was for gallantry on February 11, 1945 during the Luzon campaign to free Manila.  A grenade had wounded one of his comrades; at great risk to himself, Norlin rescued his friend and carried him to safety.  His friend recovered and met him after the war.  His Bronze Star was for achievement in ground operations against the enemy through the Luzon Campaign.  Norlin served nearly four years in the Army, much of it overseas.  He was a private first class in Company K, 148th Infantry, 37th Division.  He was discharged on May 16, 1946.

Submitted 8/31/01


The Elk Point Bomb Range

During World War II, Elk Point and several other towns in South Dakota along the Missouri river had bomb ranges, contingents of the Sioux City Airbase.  These ranges were training sites for B-17 bombing and gunnery practice.  The Elk Point Bomb range was located west of town on the Higgings and Bolton farms, with the control tower on the Bolton farm.  Airmen from the Sioux City airbase manned the range.  Their duties were to direct air to ground bombing practice by radio and prepare, repair, and maintain the targets.  A practice bomb, blue in color, was approximately three and a half feet long and weighed one hundred pounds.  It was filled with sand and a small container of five pounds of black powder, which was detonated, on impact causing it to send up a smoke indicating where they had hit the target.  Occasionally a bomb missed its mark and hit a nearby granary.  When this happened the farmer would report to the Non-Com in charge whose duty it was to notify the ordinance squad at the base who would remove the bomb and survey the damage.  The farmers were reimbursed for any damages.  Fortunately none ever hit any homes but one mother of three children in the vicinity always put her children to bed in three different rooms as a precautionary measure.  A sight in town was the presence of the usual GI transportation vehicles and a constant changing of personnel during the existence of the range.  These men lived in private rooming houses, ate in the local restaurants, and became accepted as part of Main Street. 

Submitted 8/31/01


Cecil E. “Speedball” Harris

Cecil was one of the Navy’s aces of aces, shooting down 24 enemy planes in less than six weeks between September 134th and November 25th, 1944.  Harris total did only South Dakota’s better shoot down two fewer than the number of Japanese planes known ace, Marine Major Joe Foss.  In the autumn of 1944, Japanese land-based planes had been devastating Allied ships.  American commanders, aware of the impressive Japanese aerial strength on Formosa, prepared for a massive early-morning fighter seep on that Japanese Island fortress.  The typhoon that had bedeviled the Pacific Fleet in early October, 1944, had blown itself out and on the night of October 11, the USS Carrier Intrepid traveled a northwesterly course straight toward Luzon Strait, a 200 mile stretch of water separating Luzon from the southern tip of Formosa.  Lieutenant Cecile E. “Speedball” Harris had selected sixteen crack fighter pilots from the fighter squadron aboard the carrier to take part in the dawn sweep.  The squadron, VF 18, was nicknamed “Two a Day 18” because of its deadly accuracy in bringing down Japanese planes.  On October 12, as the eastern sky was beginning to lighten, sixteen steely blue F6F Hellcats catapulted into the air the pre-dawn launch over enemy airfields had been planned to catch enemy aircraft on the ground.  The Hellcats, wings waxed to give hem a few extra knots of speed, climbed at 150 knots as the Intrepid became a tiny dot below. In the distance Harris could see the vivid outline of Formosa.  As he neared the coast, he cautiously led his division down to look at the target airfield aware that at low altitude his division would be vulnerable.  Suddenly a cry came over the radio.  “Bandits!”  Five enemy bombers closed in.  A sharp bank to the left put Harris’ division in the advantageous position, above and behind the bombers.  Through his sight ring, Harris watched the silhouettes of the bombers grow larger and larger.  At the precise moment, Harris opened up his six .50 caliber guns and watched a twin engine enemy plane literally disintegrate.

With barely a pause, Harris pulled in behind the next bomber and applied pressure to the trigger button, not jerking it, but squeezing it—pretending it was a sponge.  Another enemy plane exploded so close in front of him that his canopy and wings were coated with hot oil.  Without a moment to spend on self-satisfaction, Harris heard a new alarm on his radio:  “Zeros!”  This time the altitude advantage was with the enemy, and Harris watched as an F6F behind the deadly Zero was hit and smashed into the ground.  In a counter move Harris quickly maneuvered his plane behind the deadly Zero as it headed after its next victim.  Three planes—American, Japanese, American—were strung out, roaring full throttle over the green hills of the island.  Harris opened fire, his aim true, as the .50 caliber shells slammed into the enemy’s fuselage and wing, sending it straight for the trees.  But, unluckily, the Zero’s 20mm fire had, simultaneously, struck an American plane.  Seeing the plane was severely damages, Harris told his crewman to head back to the Intrepid.  Harris and his wingman would accompany him.

As the three Hellcats turned toward the carrier, 20 Zeros moved in behind.  It was then that Harris carried out a daring maneuver, one of many which earned him 9 wartime medals.  In a strategy that required split-second timing, steely nerves and utter disregard for his personal safety, Harris stayed with the crippled American plan instead of confronting the lead Zero heads on.  He maintained his position, letting the Zeros think they were undetected.  As the lead Zero pulled increasingly closer, Harris banked a violent left turn.  The enemy pilot closed in on the stricken American plane.  At the last minute, Harris banked a shuddering right turn and headed, full throttle for the Zero.  As the enemy’s wingspan filled the sight circle, Harris pulled the stick trigger and sent a salvo of shells into the enemy; the enemy fighter plummeted earthward.  They then escorted the crippled plane safely back to the Intrepid. For this Harris received the Silver Star.  Harris not only engaged in dogfights, but he also knocked out grounded planes, attacked Japanese airfields and battleships. He received the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross with two gold stars and the Air Medal with two gold stars.  His plane remained a “virgin.”  After 44 combat missions, his plane had not been touched by a single enemy bullet, a feat that his fellow pilots agreed was due to his remarkable flying touch, not his avoidance of dangerous missions. 

Submitted 8/8/01


Harold G. Johnson

Harold served with Seventh Infantry Division in Okinawa.  In the battle of Conical Hill, the highest peak on this home island of Japan, an entire rifle company was pinned down in the assault by Jap defenders on the crest.  Faced with the threat of being cut off, the company began withdrawing to the main force of Americans.  In the action, 11 men were trapped and unable to pull back because of intense enemy small-arms fire.  Johnson, a company medical aid man, who was familiar with the rugged terrain, volunteered to go out under fire and lead the apparently doomed men back to safety.  Upon reaching them, he learned 4 of the 11 had been wounded by the enemy fire.  Taking one of wounded with him, he led the other seven to safety before returning for the other three on separate trips. 

Submitted 8/1/01


Rudolf Kocourek

Rudolf enlisted on March 17, 1941 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.  He served until his discharge on October 24, 1945 with the 14th Tank Battalion of the 9th Armored division.  He was awarded the Bronze Star.

Submitted 8/16/01


Alfred Edward Briggs

Alfred served in the European Theater with the National Guard unit from Brookings, SD.  He served in the ETO for three years.

Submitted 8/1/01


Charles Briggs

Charles was a Navy Ensign.  He was a navy pilot who was shot down off the coast of Norfolk, Virginia. It was presumed a Russian submarine shot them down.

Submitted 8/1/01


Warner, South Dakota

In the 1940s, Warner, SD was an unincorporated town.  At this time most of the young men were off fighting the war and the women groups in the community offered their services to a group in Aberdeen to make pheasant sandwiches.  These sandwiches were handed out to the servicemen who came through Aberdeen two and three times a day on troop trains.  These boys really enjoyed the treat.  Pheasants were plentiful and hunters would donate their birds to the cause. 

Three young Warner boys gave their lives in service to their country.  They were Ervin Rieck, Telford Morgan, and Leland Wilson.

Submitted 8/1/01


Ervin Rieck

Sgt. Ervin Rieck was inducted into the army in October, 1942.  His military training took place at Camp Adair and Camp White in Oregon and Camp San Luis Obispro in Ft. Louis, Washington.  He participated in the invasion of Leyte before being transferred to Okinawa.  He was killed in the last heavy fighting in Okinawa on April 9, 1943.

Submitted 8/1/01


Telford F. Morgan

Ensign Telford F. Morgan enlisted in the Navy’s V12 officer’s training school in August, 1942 and received his commission on December 22, 1944.  He was assigned to Cruiser Indianapolis, which left the U.S. on a secret mission on July 16, 1944.  The ship was sunken fourteen days later resulting in an almost complete loss of life to the crew in on of the Navy’s worst tragedies of the War.

Submitted 8/1/01


Leland Wilson

On January 20, 1945, while on a combat mission off the shores of Luzon on the Philippine Islands, Navy Airman Wilson’s plane went down.  His body was recovered January 20, 1945 and is buried in the U.S. Cemetery in Santa Barbara, Luzon.

Submitted 8/1/01


Donald Ryan

Donald was a Marine who served in the Pacific Theater.  His fighter plane was lost and never recovered.

Submitted 8/12/01


Vincent McLague

He was a Tec Sgt. who was killed in Germany.  He was an engineer on a B24 that was stationed in England.  He is buried in Highmore, SD.

Submitted 8/12/01


Richard Baloun

Richard was a pilot of a reconnaissance plane.  He was killed in action in South Africa.

Submitted 8/12/01


Lyle Elfrink

Lyle was a pilot of a B-24 that was lost in the raid on “oil fields in South Europe.”

Submitted 8/12/01


Orville “Whitey” Kirkegaard

Orville joined the US Marine Corps on May 17, 1944 where he was a FA Gun Crewman of the 1st Marine Division located in the Pacific Theatre.  On April 1, 1945 (Easter Sunday) the division landed in Okinawa.  After the War, he was stationed in China until his discharge on August 9, 1946.

Submitted 8/1/01

Richard J. Malone

Richard was killed in action on March 24, 1945 at the Rhine Crossing.  He was a Private in the 9th Army 30th Division, 119th Infantry, Company B.   Dick Malone was the supervisor of the Farm Security Administration in Faulkton, SD.  Local farmers and ranchers could apply to him for federal loans, which helped them increase production for the war effort.  The farmers and ranchers were exempt from the draft and due to his work, Richard was also exempt.  In 1943, it became necessary to draft fathers.  Although he was still exempt, he felt he had to go.  With his death, he left behind two daughters and a wife. 

Submitted 8/1/01

Nelson L. Lagendyk

Nelson enlisted in the Air Force in June, 1941 where he became a squadron clerk and joined the all-volunteer glider program.  His outstanding aviation skills led to his promotion to staff sergeant and transfer to Lubbock, Texas for glider combat training.  Once in Texas, Nelson was again promoted to Flight Offers.  He then traveled to Louisville, Kentucky for continued training in preparation of his flight to Europe.  On June 6, 1944, when he joined 4,000 glider and tow planes for a dangerous flight into Hitler’s occupied France, Nelson risked his life to secure the airfield behind enemy lines, so that German prisoners may be transported to England where they would later be held accountable for the grave atrocities committed against the Jewish people under Hitler’s reign. Nelson piloted his glider which was loaded with a jeep, 50 caliber machine gun, 57 mm ammo, two 82nd Airborne soldiers and co-pilot.  As they approached the coast of Normandy, the U.S. Army was storming the beaches and engaged in fierce battle.  Just a few miles behind the enemy lines they crash-landed and enemy machine guns opened fire on them.  Bullets ripped through the glider one went about two feet from Nelson’ head.  He ordered the crew to get out and hit the ground.  They fell in with soldiers of the 82nd Airborne Division.  He escorted enemy prisoners back to England. His unit had 35% casualty rate.    He received the Distinguished Air Medal and the prestigious Battle Field Commission to 2nd Lieutenant, as well as the Normandy Medal of the “Jubilee of Liberty, which was presented to him by the French government. 

Submitted 8/1/01

Charles Kearns

Charles served through out Europe and received a battlefield commission and Bronze Star.

Submitted 8/1/01

Quentin L. Davidson

In September, 1941, Quentin went to Seattle, Washington where he worked at the Boeing Aircraft Factory until June, 1942.  He enlisted in the Army Air Corps and entered active duty in March, 1942.  He was assigned to Santa Ana, CA to begin his training and from there was transferred to Thunderbird and Mariana Air Fields, both in Arizona.  After receiving his Silver wings on January 7, 1944 at Luke Field, Arizona and his commission as a Second Lieutenant, he was transferred to Randolph Field, Texas.  He was then transferred to Lincoln, NE for Advanced Training and was assigned as a Co-pilot on a B-17 bomber.  On September 1, 1944, he reported for overseas duty in England with the Eighth Air Force.  On November 30, 1944, he was assigned a Mission over Merseberg, Germany, which was his 17th Mission.  It was on this Mission that he gave his life, at age of 24 years and 15 days.  He was awarded the Air Medal and two Oak Leaf Clusters and the Purple Heart posthumously. 

Submitted 8/1/01

Benjamin H. Engleman

Benjamin was a Prisoner of War in Germany for six months.

Submitted 8/1/01

Lloyd Lageman

Lloyd served with the United States Army in World War II from October, 1942 to October, 1945.  He served with the 10th Armored Division.  He was sent to Europe, landing in France.  He was involved in three combats, under the leadership of General Patton.  He later served in the Army of Occupation. 

Submitted 8/2/01

Leona (Toni) Eastman

Leona enlisted in the WAVES on December 18, 1944.  She had to wait to go to Boot Camp, as at that time South Dakota could only send two in at a time.  When her time came, she went to Hunter’s College, Bronx, N.Y. for three months of Boot Training.  After that, she was sent to Ottumwa, IA, Naval Air Station.  He was released from active duty on October 23, 1946. 

Submitted 8/1/01

Richard Griffin

Richard was a prisoner of war in World War II.

Submitted 8/7/01

Clyde T. Bush

Clyde was a prisoner of war in World War II.

Submitted 8/7/01

Heine J. Reiser

Heine enlisted in August, 1943.  He was a tail gunner on a B-17 that was shot down during the third mission over Germany.  He was a prisoner of war until April, 1945.  He was released from active duty in November, 1945.

Submitted 8/7/01

Curtis S. Anderson

Curtis was a PFC in the Army during World War II.  He landed on Omaha Beach and scaled the cliffs.  He then fought across France and Germany and into Austria.

Submitted 8/7/01

Kenneth W. Anderson

Kenneth was a Sergeant in the Air Force and stationed in England.

Submitted 8/7/01

Montana Lisle Reese

Montana served in the Army Signal Corps and US Air Force. 

Submitted 8/7/01

96th Infantry Division

On April 1, 1945, the 96th Infantry Division made an assault landing on the Hagushi beaches of Okinawa and within three days overcame all resistance in the large Sunabe hill mass, which dominated the XXIV Corps landing beaches.  The division then immediately attacked rapidly and skillfully south down the western half of the island, overrunning and destroying or driving in enemy outpost lines and strong points guarding the approaches to the main Japanese defense hub at Shuri.  By April 7, the division had penetrated the main outer ring.  On April 9, 5he division initiated a series of attacks against the powerful Japanese defense position at Kakazu Ridge.  It was necessary to dig, blast and burn or bury forever the fanatical enemy defenders.  By April 14, the division had gained control of dominant portions of the ridge.  On April 16, the division became the interior division when a third division entered the lines on its right flank.  It continued its day after day assaults. Tombstone Hill was seized.  Tanabaru and Maeda escarpments were captured.  Needle Rock Hill 153 and Gate were all taken.  On May 1, the division was withdrawn for 9 days of rest and for reception and assimilation of replacements totaling over 4,000.  ON May 9, the division reentered the lines on the left (east) flank, and began a series of bitter, bloody, hand to hand assaults designed to wrest from the Japanese Conical Hill, the vital key to the eastern section of the Shuri Battle position.  The desperate defenders struck back with all the fire and manpower at their command.  Concentrations of artillery and medium and heavy mortar fire were placed upon our lines in duration’s previously unknown in the Pacific War.  By May 21, the crest and eastern slopes of Conical Hill had been captured, opening an envelopment route to turn Shuri.  To the west of Conical Hill, the division captured Sugar Hill and broke throughout the Shuri line to within 200 yards of the Nahi-Shuri Yonabaru Road, the enemy’s innermost and essential communications line.  Loss of Conical Hill doomed the Shuri position, and enemy withdrew, shortly after its fall, to final positions along the south tip of Yaeju-Dake escarpments, the two highest hills were in the zone of the 96th Division.  The division assaulted heroically and with a fury that could not be stopped, using the same hand to hand, digging, blasting, burning, assaults required in earlier engagements.  The 96th Division ended its portion of the organized fighting as a it began it, closing to bayonet range with a gallantry, heroism and determination to win which carried it attacks forward despite terrible and crippling casualties and physical discomforts almost beyond human endurance including 1, 504 killed. 

Submitted 8/7/01

Wilber William Tolstedt

Wilber was drafted into the United States Army in 1942 at the age of 33.  The Army sent Bill to the Air Corps.  Prior to attending service, Bill had spent time in the CCC Camps in Pierre and the Black Hills.  His experience in the kitchen in the CCC Camps qualified him for cooking in the Air Corps.  He was sent to North Africa and then to the island of Corsica where he supervised the officer mess. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of sergeant.

Submitted 8/16/01

Douglas Keith Kirsch

Douglas was drafted into the Navy and sworn in November, 1944.  He took his training at Farragut, Idaho and attended electric school at Hadley Vocational in St. Louis, Missouri.  He then was sent to the Philippines in convoy and was in a Gyro compass shop in a ship Repair Unit in Subic Bay at Alongapo.  He was a part of the ship’s company at Treasure Island at San Franciso for two months after returning to the states.  He was discharged in July, 1946.

Submitted 8/12/01

Theodore Olson Hanson

Ted joined the advanced Reserve Officers Training Corps at SD State College in 1941.  This provided the financial backing and he was able to complete his college education in March, 1942.  He married and immediately went into the Army.  He became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry.  He was assigned to the 83rd Infantry Division as a platoon leader.  That division arrived in Normandy shortly after D-Day.  The division assignment was to attack the German stronghold of St. Lo France.  Although the attack was successful Ted was killed in action on July 14, 1944.

Submitted 8/15/01

James David Gilbert

James served in the U.S. Army from 1944-1945.  One of the highlights of his military career was the trip to Europe on the USS Queen Elizabeth.  He boarded the ship three days early and helped load the 20,000 troops.  Each soldier wore a red or white or blue badge and could only be in the corresponding colored area of the ship.  Later as a liaison officer, he made daily trips from regimental headquarters to company command posts on the front lines carrying maps and the orders of the day.  He saw much destruction of cities, roads and railroads in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Czechoslovakia.  Gilbert earned a Bronze Star and a star on his European Theater of Operations ribbon for the Battle of the Bulge.  He said “It was a terrible price to pay, but the freedom we all enjoy is not cheap and must be paid for and appreciated enough to sacrifice much to maintain it.  It is not fair to those young men who gave their lives that we can enjoy the advantages we do today.  We are not perfect, but no one pounds our door at midnight, can enslave us, starve us or execute us because we don’t believe as the government might dictate.  We can criticize our leaders, change jobs, even leave the country and have no fear.  What a great country.”

Submitted 8/13/01

Arthur J. Knoepfle

Arthur knew the stinging burn of a bullet wound, the whine of Jap bombers overhead and the discomforts of life in the jungles of New Guinea.  The young soldier was awarded the Purple Heart for a wound received at the hands of a Jap sniper on January 3, 1943.  The Jap fired on Knoepfle from a tree—the bullet striking a glancing blow on his side.  He was hospitalized in Australia for about a month and returned to active combat duty in New Guinea in April, 1944.  PFC Knoepfle served nearly 29 months overseas leaving the states early in March, 1942 and returning to the family farm.

Submitted 8/11/01

Clifford E. Murschel

Clifford served in the U.S. Army with F5\68 Medical Regiment in the states and 453 Medical collecting Company attached to the 6th Engineer Amphibious Brigade in England, France and Germany.  During the invasion of Normandy Beach at Omaha Section, this company brought supplies in and took the wounded soldiers out to the hospital ships.  The hospital ships took them to England.  Bodies of the dead were put in canvas bags in a trench, covered with a little sand.  Later they were picked up and buried in a Normandy cemetery.  One of the men on he homebound ship was an excellent singer.  At first sight of the Statue of Liberty, he stood up and sang the “Star Spangled Banner.”  There was not a dry eye on the ship. 

Submitted 8/13/01

Millard R. Cloud

Millard was a Sergeant and served as a tail gunner on a B-29 in the Pacific.

Submitted 8/12/01

Don H. Schoessler

Don enlisted into the Army from Reliance, SD, Lyman County.  He was inducted into the Army at Camp Dodge, IA in 1942.  He served with the 1262nd Combat Engineer Battalion in the European Theater.  He was discharged from active served in 1945 at Ft. Leavenworth, KS.

Submitted 8/10/01