Find A Buddy

Have you been trying to find a buddy that you  were stationed with overseas or went through basic training with?  The internet provides a wealth of information for you to try to locate that person.  We have compiled a variety of links that you can use to try to locate the individual.

Search for Buddies


People Finder  

     People place their short stories in search of the person they had known or briefly met. Place your name in the search and see if someone is looking for you.


The Seeker - Reuniting America  

     Place FREE ads to search for long lost friends, relatives, or military buddies. This site also features a weekly radio show where people can call in and have their requests read over the airwaves.  

     Directory of addresses, phone numbers and public records. Fee.

Telephone Directory

     Specific information includes area codes, white pages, yellow pages, reverse look-up, local Web sites, international calling codes, international directories and e-mail addresses.


American Alumni Directory  

     Lists information for former students of all K-12 schools in America, including over 20,000 schools which have been closed.


AnyWho Directory Service  

     Free directory service with residential, business, government white and yellow pages listings. Including reverse telephone number look up. (By AT&T).     

     Searchable white and yellow pages directory with business and e-mail searching.


Internet Address Finder  

     Quickly search for e-mail addresses. Available in English, German, French, Portuguese and Italian.


How To Investigate     

     Begin your own investigation and search with fee-based services.



     Free and low cost public records information searches.



     They can help you track someone down for a fee. They provide a confidential people locator service.



     Collection of online people search tools to help find someone's email address, phone number or address.


Public Records from - - Public Records  

     A people finder that goes into the depths of public records that most don't. Submit a name and it will tell you if there is a listing. To get the listing the user must pay a fee.


Big Hugs

     To find anyone who is or has been in the military. Low cost, speedy, confidential searches by licensed investigators as low as $10.



Cyber Detective     

      Become your own detective, investigate, anyone, anywhere, anytime. Find old friends and lost loves.


National People Finders     

     Service offering searches on criminal records, biological parents, driving records, and more.


     Various web links to find people in the military


A message board for World War II Veterans  


     If all else fails you may want to use these other resources:


ST LOUIS, MO 63132

     Starting point for information on former and active duty members of the US Armed Forces. They will replace all medals and decorations earned by a person (former, active duty, deceased) FREE OF CHARGE. You will need to send a letter with all the information you have available i.e. name, rank held, unit's served in, etc

     Questions on World War II units and personnel can be sent to one of the following agencies:

Air Force History Support Office
500 Duncan Ave Box 94
Bolling AFB, D.C. 20332-1111
Phone: (202) 404-2264


United States Air Force Historical Research Agency (HQ AFHRA/RSA)
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
Phone: (334) 953-2966


     For the Department of Defense and other Military Departments, historical files are stored in repositories of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Information from records maintained by NARA is available to the public. For a nominal fee, NARA will reproduce documents of interest. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Service
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20408
Phone: (202) 523-3220


      Another source is the Superintendent of Documents, United States Government Printing Office (GPO). The GPO stocks and sells over 24,000 different publications, periodicals, and subscription services. A listing of Government periodicals and subscription services sold by GPO is available to citizens at no charge. Citizens are also encouraged to avail themselves of resources of local public and school libraries, many of which routinely receive GPO listings. Their address is:

Superintendent of Documents, United States Government Printing Office (GPO)
Washington, DC 20402
(202) 512-1800


If you need specific information about a military person: 

     If you're seeking information about military personnel who served in the United States Army Air Forces, or the United States Air Force, first obtain as much of the following information as possible:

1.      Full name and serial number of the individual.

2.      Rank held at a specific time or highest rank achieved.

3.      Names and dates of awards for decorations received (e.g., the Purple Heart).

4.      Unit(s) to which the individual was assigned or attached and the dates of service.

5.      Individual's military occupation or specialty, e.g., pilot, navigator, bombardier, gunner, physician, nurse, maintenance technician, supply clerk, security or military police, etc. 

     Requesting the records of a relative, the requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

     For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20408


Second, contact local sources if original residence is known:

1.  Adjutant General's Office in the individual's state of residence for data on state personnel who served in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam.

2.  County and State Veteran's Service Offices for information in case the individual applied for Veteran's benefits or hospitalization.

3.  County Office of Vital Records in individual's county of residence prior to entry into service for either birth or marriage records of the individual.

4.  County Probate Office for a will or Letters of Administration on file for the individual if he or she possessed property in the county and is now deceased. 

5.  Newspapers published in the city or county where the individual is presumed to have lived prior to entry into service for news items or articles, including obituaries or death notices.

6.  Local post of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Veterans of World War II, and the like, for information on local men and women who survived service in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam.

7.  The State Office of Vital Statistics for death records of service personnel who died while on active duty. 


FinFinally, the following Federal agencies may be able to help:

World War II Memorial
American Battle Monuments Commission
2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 501
Arlington, VA 22201

Next of kin may ask for a copy of the service member's personnel records (including "201" files) by contacting:

National Personnel Records Center
Attn: Air Force Reference Branch
9700 Page Blvd
St Louis MO 63132


For aircrew members lost in combat during World War II:

Request a Missing Air Crew Report (MACR) under the individual's name from:

National Archives and Records Administration
Attn: Textual Reference Branch
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park MD 20740-6001


     To determine whether an individual was declared missing or killed in action, contact the agency below. They can also provide location details if the deceased is buried in a US (overseas or national) cemetery. If the response is negative (no record of death or continued missing status), it is possible that the member survived.

U.S. Total Army Personnel Command
2461 Eisenhower Ave, Room 984, Hoffman Bldg 1
Alexandria VA 22331


     To contact Air Force personnel who are still on active duty, or who have retired: Write a letter to the person you wish to contact. Place the letter in a sealed and stamped envelope with your name and return address and the name of the individual on the outside of the envelope. Send this envelope to the agency below along with a note giving all identifying information about the person you are trying to reach. Ask the locator to add the individual's current address to your sealed envelope and to forward it to the person you wish to contact. A $3.50 finder's fee must be included (make check out to: DAO-DE RAFB). 

550 C Street W, Suite 50
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752


     To contact military personnel who have filed a claim against the Veterans Administration (VA) write a letter to the person, place in an unsealed stamped envelope without a return address. Send envelope with $2.00 fee and name, serial number, date of birth, etc., to the local or regional VA office listed in the Blue Pages of the phone directory. The VA will forward your letter to last known address. 


What if all else fails?

Consider "search notices" or letters to the editor in these publications:

Air Force Magazine
Air Force Association
1501 Lee Highway
Arlington VA 22209-1198

Air Force Times
6883 Commercial Drive
Springfield VA 22159
Fax (703) 750-8601

The Retired Officer
Reader's Exchange
201 N Washington Street
Alexandria VA 22314-2539


        A final possibility is How To Locate Anyone Who Is Or Has Been in the Military: Armed Forces Locator Directory, Fifth Edition, by Lt Col (Ret) Richard Johnson, MIE Publishing, $23. It explains hundreds of proven ways to locate current and former members of all service branches, including the National Guard and Reserve. It provides information on how anyone may obtain copies of individual military records, rosters, muster rolls, after-action reports and numerous other military records.