Application Process

The Michael J. Fitzmaurice Veterans Home provides a quality living environment, along with quality medical support, in an independent living and long-term care setting for eligible South Dakota veterans and their spouses, widows, and widowers.

To be eligible for admission, the applicant must be an honorably discharged veteran whose period of service qualifies them for veteran benefits or the spouse, widow, or widower of such a veteran.
In addition, they must: 
  • Be ambulatory and able to take care of self and living quarters, not be addicted to drugs or alcohol and not be mentally ill

  • Have been a resident of South Dakota at any time in the five years immediately preceding application

  • Be incapacitated from earning a livelihood

  • Have had a complete physical exam not more than 60 days prior to making application

In the case of a married couple, the spouse of the veteran must be admitted with the veteran, unless the veteran is institutionalized, in order to be able to reside at the Home.

Click here to view the application policy.

To make application, contact your local County or Tribal Veterans Service Officer to assist you. Also, you can click here to download the application forms.
Back to Top